Skip to main content

Short Film: GOLDFISH by Christina Xing


"Not your typical, quirky, self absorbed story." - Christina Xing




WINNER - BEST DRAMA - All American High School Film Festival


Written & Directed by Christina Xing


Cast: Ella May Hunsander & Oliver Klein


Hello people of the Internet!

Today's post is something a little different, but very important to me. As many of you know, I am a teenager who loves everything film-related (if you can't tell by this blog DUH). I create my own videos and short films with friends because that's just a thing I truly love to do. That's why I wanted to share this with all fellow film lovers out there!

I first found out about the All American High School Film Festival through Refinery29 on Snapchat, as they are one of the sponsors and were featuring a new short film every day or so. The AAHSFF is a great opportunity for young ambitious american teens looking to put their foot in the door of the film industry. 

I stumbled upon the nominated short film Goldfish by Christina Xing and it instantly caught my attention. Now that it's on Youtube and actually won Best Drama, I really wanted to write a blog post about Goldfish because I think it deserves SO MUCH ATTENTION. The subject matter that Goldfish deals with is something we all can relate to - it's about fitting in, loneliness and just simply being human. Human interaction and friendship is something we all crave and Christina Xing managed to portray that in such a unique way. 

Goldfish follows the story of Amelie and Ben. They are forced to spend time together due to a school project, they form an unusual friendship while caring for a goldfish together. As the story unfolds, we learn that although Ben is an extrovert, he deals with feeling lonely as much as an introvert like Amelie does. They bond over that and Amelie shares something that still haunts her: her fear of the underwater world, specifically of marine creatures.





To me, the enticing aspect about this short film is the connection that Amelie and Ben form. It's not fake, not forced. It shows the raw, human emotions we all have inside. 










If you liked her short film, make sure to rate it on IMDB and send Christina some love on her Instagram! 


To watch the other winners' short films, click here! 

My question for all of you out there: Do you watch or maybe even create short films? 

Have a nice day!



SaveSave

Comments

Post a Comment